UK notebook: Lee provides lift for Cats

By Nick Gray | UK basketball beat writer

Marcus Lee provides lift in place of injured Cauley-Stein

With 40 hours between games, University of Michigan head coach John Beilein did little scouting of UK freshman forward Marcus Lee, who had played a total of 11 minutes in March.

His Sunday production landed him on the scouting reports of the other three Final Four teams.

Lee scored 10 points and grabbed eight rebounds (seven of which were on the offensive side) in 15 minutes of action. All three totals were his high marks since November. But UK head coach John Calipari had a hunch.

“He told the team I was going to have a big day,” Lee said. “Knowing us, none of us believed him.”

Poythress draws several assignments

Michigan’s offensive burst in the first half forced Calipari to shuffle his lineup.

Sophomore forward Alex Poythress drew a handful of assignments, from chasing around Michigan sophomore guard Nik Stauskas to battling senior center Jordan Morgan on the low post.

Poythress’ 6-foot-8-inch frame allows him to play a variety of positions. UK’s defense allows him to get accustomed to defending players big and small.

“We do so much switching, it’s normal to guard a lot of people,” Poythress said.

Stauskas cools off late

The source of Michigan’s first-half offense came primarily from Stauskas, who scored 17 points on 5-of-7 shooting.

But Stauskas struggled in the second half as freshman guard Dominique Hawkins and Poythress guarded him for the final 20 minutes.

“He’s a great player who is real crafty with the ball,” Poythress said. “He’s a pro who knows how to get his shot off.”

Parental celebrations

After the game, freshman guards Aaron and Andrew Harrison separately came over to the railing next to a tunnel area that led to UK’s locker room. There stood their parents, who gave each player congratulations and words of encouragement.

The twin brothers have had up-and-down seasons but have played well in March.

“Every father wants their kid to mature, and you’re going to have some trials and tribulations in life, not just basketball,” Aaron Harrison Sr. said. “You hope that they come out the other side.”