All eyes are on Hoops vs. Baylor after thriller in December

By Kevin Erpenbeck | Hoops columnist

No one expected a December matchup between UK and Baylor University to be the game of the year.

But after four overtimes and more than three hours, UK Hoops’ 133-130 victory over Baylor was not only the best game of the year, but the best game in a decade.

On Saturday, a rematch of the epic game will take place.

The stakes will be higher. A spot in the Elite Eight awaits the winner.

UK has never made it to three straight Elite Eight appearances. This team has a chance to prove its December win was not a fluke by beating an elite program twice in one season.

For the Bears, it’s a chance at redemption. The four-overtime thriller featured a stellar 47-point performance from senior guard Odyssey Sims. Sims fouled out in the first overtime and on Saturday, she has a shot at revenge.

UK junior guard Jennifer O’Neill had a historic night of her own, scoring the highest number of points in a game in program history. O’Neill will need another sharp offensive day if the Cats are to keep up with the high-scoring Bears.

UK also needs to improve its team defense. The Cats had a 74-62 lead over the Bears with 9:43 to go in regulation. However, after giving up a 21-8 run, UK found itself playing from behind for the final four minutes.

The Cats had another lead near the end of the first overtime period. But that too was erased, and the game continued.

UK head coach Matthew Mitchell said defense was the biggest problem in the December game, knowing it will have to improve to beat the Bears a second time.

Both teams can learn from the previous matchup. They know the outcome of this game will top everything else that has happened in their respective seasons, including their regular-season matchup against each other.

This rematch comes during the NCAA Tournament. The winner’s season will continue, while the loser’s will come to an abrupt end.