UK Hoops’ talent grows into Sweet 16 team

A Feb. 9 loss to the University of Florida had UK Hoops questioning its own mental strength and focus along with the future of the 2014 season.

That’s when the Cats knew they had to bear down if they wanted to save their season.

A month and a half later, UK did just that by reaching the Sweet 16.

After the 64-59 win over Syracuse University, UK made its third-straight regional semifinal appearance, a first in UK Hoops history.

The Cats win over the Orange may not have been pretty, but it’s that inner strength they exuberated down the stretch that got UK the victory and a spot in UK’s history books.

That strength showed when UK pushed through a defensive struggle. Shooting just 36 percent from the field, the Cats knew their defense had to be strong in order to keep them ahead of the Orange. It showed in the 23 turnovers they forced on Syracuse.

The team’s focus also came in the form of junior guard Bria Goss. After multiple attempts at a comeback by Syracuse, Goss hit 11-of-12 crucial free throws down the stretch, keeping the Orange at bay and her team on the path to a Sweet 16 berth.

From the low point of the Florida loss, these Cats have clawed and fought back to the level of success they knew they were capable of at the beginning of the season. Their gutsy performance against Syracuse showed why they’re at this stage now.

“They’ve proven to me that they knew what it took to get to this level, and I’m really happy for them,” said UK Hoops head coach Matthew Mitchell. “They have nothing more to prove to me beyond this point.”

With the Cats stronger and more focused than they have been all season, they are heading to South Bend, Ind., for their historic third-straight Sweet 16 appearance.