We should all be prepared ‘Project Lex 2’

No one is immune to the madness of March.

The University of Dayton’s president notably came down with the sickness, crowd surfing in the streets of Dayton after UD upset Syracuse University in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament third round.

But students’ symptoms were not so flattering, and UD President Daniel Curran was soon urging more than 1,000 students, some injured, to comply with police and to vacate the streets while firefighters responded to at least one burning couch.

Although repugnant, this behavior is predictable. Lexington and UK police, residents and students should be wary of a similar syndrome this Friday night when UK takes on the University of Louisville in the Sweet 16.

It was not so long ago that #LexingtonPoliceScanner was trending nationally on Twitter and the term “Project Lex” was coined, which plays off the movie “Project X” about a house-party turned war-zone, to describe an area where UK students flipped and burned a car.

That happened after UK defeated Louisville in the Final Four and the University of Kansas in the national championship game, and it could happen again.

But the Kernel is confident that UK and Lexington police are not only aware of the diagnosis but have a plan in place to contain it and keep students and citizens safe. While no one should be torching cars in the street or launching beer bottles at others, some will undoubtedly act out. We should all be vigilant and responsible when celebrating this Friday and throughout UK’s tournament.

[email protected].