UK fraternity faces sanctions

By Will Wright

Phi Delta Theta fraternity violated sections of the Student Code of Conduct, a university official said, and the fraternity will be sanctioned.

Sanctions have been offered “based on the gravity of the incidents and prior case history,” according to a statement from Victor Hazard, the dean of students.

After incidents violating the code were reported, a hearing with the Interfraternity Council Judicial Board followed, according to the statement.

“We are disappointed with the university’s ruling,” said Kyle Budde, president of UK’s Phi Delta Theta chapter. “The serious allegations against us remain untrue and are based on nothing but hearsay and gossip. We look forward to a continuing, fair appeals process.”

The fraternity, which has been on campus since 2003, has the right to appeal the sanctions to UK’s Office of Student Conduct in the Division of Student Affairs and ultimately to the University Appeals Board, according to the statement. Sanctions will be final after the completion of the appeals process.

The university declined to release the IFC recommendation until a final decision has been made.

The Kentucky Kernel plans to file an open records request to obtain the recommendation to the university.