Indiana defeats UK baseball in matchup of Top-25 teams

In a Top-25 matchup Tuesday, Indiana University defeated UK, 7-2, in Bloomington, Ind.

No. 20 UK (13-4) struggled to recreate the same offensive magic it displayed against Ball State University in its record-setting series last weekend.

The Cats could not solve Indiana junior pitcher Kyle Hart (2-1), who tossed eight innings, allowing five hits and two runs.

No. 16 Indiana (8-6) jumped to a quick lead in the bottom of the first inning, scoring two runs. The Hoosiers scored two more runs in the bottom of the fourth and one in the fifth.

The Cats struggled to find hits early, getting on base once in the first four innings. Junior third baseman Max Kuhn ended the scoreless drought in the top of the fourth, hitting a solo home run to cut the Indiana lead to 2-1.

Junior outfielder Austin Cousino doubled down the left-field line in the fifth inning, plating a run. Indiana answered later in the fifth inning and then put the game away in a two-run eighth inning.

Indiana junior catcher Kyle Schwarber led the way for the Hoosiers with two hits, three runs and one home run.

The loss ended an 18-game hitting streak for junior first baseman A.J. Reed and sophomore outfielder Kyle Barrett.

Sophomore pitcher Dylan Dwyer (1-1) pitched 7.1 innings, allowing five hits and seven runs.

The win was the Hoosiers’ first win in the series in four seasons.

UK will return to action on Wednesday against Northern Kentucky University at Cliff Hagan Stadium.

UK faces a Northern Kentucky team that has lost its last four games, and has not beat the Cats in series history. UK leads the series, 9-0, with the last meeting coming in 2005.

After a series loss to Loyola Marymount University over the weekend, the Norse (3-11) will face a UK team that has scored 60 runs in the last four games. NKU’s opponents are averaging 83 more runs than the Norse, and hitting .342.

NKU is batting .255 with 122 hits and 53 runs.

STAFF REPORT