Food fight: Which candidate wins?

We have four excellent candidates vying for the top two positions in student government.

On Feb. 26, the Kernel published profiles of each candidate. Favorite food choices were included in the profile, and from the food choices, there is much we can deduce.

The four foods: Enchiladas, filet mignon, doughnuts and Thai food.

Jake Ingram, current student government vice president, said “his mother’s homemade enchiladas” were his favorite food.

This is the clear-cut best answer out of the four for one simple reason: Who doesn’t love their momma’s cooking?

A mother’s cooking is a safe answer. No one can fault Ingram for going with something that his mother makes.

In my biased opinion, my mother makes the best food in the world. I’m sure many of you feel the same way.

Ingram’s running mate, Mariel Jackson, said that her favorite food is filet mignon.

Talk about a step in the other direction.

Jackson’s food choice is one that separates her from the norm. This cut of beef

isn’t your average steak – rather, it is well above average. Jackson may alienate some with this decision, but if you have had a filet mignon, you can’t blame her choice.

Presidential candidate Micaha Dean, current president of the Student Activities Board, went with the simple choice of doughnuts.

This answer is neither bold nor safe. It is clearly an appeal to the masses, because c’mon, who doesn’t like doughnuts?

To that point, however, if you’ve ever had doughnuts, my guess is that you aren’t head over heels, saying they will be your favorite food for life. Everyone likes doughnuts because there are all kinds. They are a guilty pleasure to anyone that enjoys sweets.

Dean is saying she loves doughnuts and doesn’t care who knows.

Evan Pulliam shares the ticket with Dean. He selected “Thai food, or anything with sriracha,” as his favorite food.

Pulliam likes all Thai food?

If we’re going for breadth of selection, Pulliam wins. His pick is exotic and shows his openness to diversity. It’s different.

As someone that rarely eats Thai food, I’d love to sit down with Pulliam and enjoy the aromas and flavor that this Southeast Asian cuisine is known for.

We have four candidates that have made exquisite food choices. None are wrong.

Your selection on who will represent you in student government is the same. You can’t go wrong with either ticket.