A salute to my college years

Last Friday I picked up my cap and gown, browsed class rings and participated in a slew of other activities in preparation for graduation in May.

My time at Grad Salute was one part entertaining, one part sad and three parts eye-opening, much like my entire college experience. I was scared when I entered the King Alumni House for Grad Salute: scared of breaking the news of my cap and gown cost to my parents, scared of being asked questions I didn’t know the answer to and scared because I was alone.

On a lot of levels, it felt like the day I moved into Kirwan 3. But the nerves left quickly, and I began to recall the adventures I’ve had with all my new friends. College allowed me to have all the fun that I could never have had under my parents’ roof.

I came in anticipating a lot of excitement, and got even more than I could have imagined. However, there are memories that I wish I could leave behind. Like most people, I’ve made some mistakes and gone through some hardships in the past few years.

A few relationships (and exams) were failed, my family faced struggles and other issues came up. A certain feeling of sadness overwhelmed me at Grad Salute as I realized that my college experience wasn’t perfect, and that the time remaining for me to right all my wrongs is running short.

Finally, as I walked through the line on Friday, I realized all that has changed over the past four years, and what will change upon my exit from the university. Four years went by fast, but a lot happened during that span.

On a national level, President Obama was re-elected, several states legalized marijuana and several others became champions of gay rights.

At UK, President Eli Capilouto came to town, Central Hall opened its doors and a national basketball championship was won.

But most importantly, I grew as a person.

It may sound cliche, but my views on politics, religion and life in general were all reformed in some way during my time here. And I expect the changes to continue as I transition into a new career lifestyle.

Appropriately enough, Grad Salute represented my entire UK experience in just 30 minutes.

Again, it wasn’t perfect, and I still left feeling somewhat scared of what the future holds for me. But for the most part, it was enjoyable. As I accept my diploma on May 10, I’ll be happy for it all, the good and the bad.

[email protected].