Take your time and smell the roses before graduating

As I struggle through my course load this semester, I have come to realize more and more that will I miss my original graduation date of May 2015, and I am not alone.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, only about a third of UK students will finish their degrees in four years. The reasons for prolonged stays at college vary for different students, but the reasons why I will not graduate on time are clear: I only completed 12 credit hours most semesters, I changed majors after my first year and I took classes I didn’t need. I didn’t do college the “right” way.

I did it my way, and I’d do it again the exact same way.

I have grown immensely through my college experience, through soaring highs and plummeting lows. I’ve considered quitting higher education and living in the wilderness the rest of my life a few times.

But that’s part of the ride. It’s not supposed to be easy.

It’s supposed to be our first foray into grown, independent life. And if there is any obvious lesson that college has drilled into my psyche, it’s that life isn’t easy.

So, why did I take unnecessary classes? Why didn’t I take heavier course loads? Wouldn’t planning my education more efficiently mean I could get out of here quicker?

Yes, I could’ve graduated in four years if I had done everything “right.” If I had chosen a major from the start and stuck to it, and taken 15 hours of required classes, I theoretically would have graduated a semester early thanks to college credits I earned in high school.

But the truth is, I probably wouldn’t have graduated at all. The chances are just as good that I would’ve ended up a hermit in the mountains, mistaken by Squatchers for Big Foot himself.

The reason I took a lighter load, changed majors and enrolled in fun, interesting classes is that I have been more focused on the journey than on the destination.

It’s not the way we’re “supposed” to do it, or the way we’re expected to do it, but I think it’s the healthier way to do it. The aim of college is more than simply earning a degree. We’re supposed to learn about life, not just careers, and to grow as people.

Take classes that interest you, in fields you aren’t majoring in. If you’re a marketing student, find some cool history or art classes. Take something that you have absolutely no experience with. As my dad often says: “Broaden your horizons.”

Slow your roll.

If you’re living on two hours of sleep every night because you’re taking 18 hours, consider dropping something. When we force ourselves to balance more than we can handle, something ends up giving way, and more often than not it’s our grades, or worse, our mental, emotional and physical health.

As far as choosing a major goes, I know too many students who are in majors they hate. Believe it or not, you aren’t condemned to failure if you change majors, even if you’re a year or two in. It may be an extra year of college now, but that’s better than a lifetime of a career you hate.

There are, of course, downsides to taking your time in college. The first and most obvious problem is that it costs more. Many students, myself included, receive financial aid that lasts only four years.

I understand the financial pressure to finish on time. But I am willing to take out one or two extra student loans to pay for my final semesters. I am confident that the extra debt is worth the long-term benefits of enjoying the journey.

It sounds corny, I know, like something from a Pixar movie. But Pixar happens to get things right sometimes.

If you find yourself struggling to tread water or bored with the uniformity of your classes, consider lightening your load, switching your major or taking some classes off the beaten path. Consider taking your eye off of the goal, and focus instead on the journey.

[email protected].