The most anticipated films of 2014 revealed

Kyle+Arensdorf

Kyle Arensdorf

By Kyle Arensdorf | Assistant Opinions Editor

This year has a lot to live up to. Incredible film after incredible film came out in 2013. Here are 10 films set for 2014 that have the potential to live up to that standard.

10. “Rosewater” (Jon Stewart)

“Rosewater” makes the list purely for the directorial debut of Jon Stewart, whose Comedy Central show, “The Daily Show,” has gained him a lot of support in the film community. This adaptation tells the true story of a journalist who was detained in Iran in 2009 for three months while attempting to cover the presidential election.

9. “Gone Girl” (David Fincher)

Based on the bestselling novel by the same name, “Gone Girl” is director David Fincher (“Fight Club,” “The Social Network”) attempt to gain a third Oscar nomination for best director in his last four tries. This is also the first project that Ben Affleck (who plays the lead role) took after his Oscar-winning film “Argo.”

8. “Foxcatcher” (Bennett Miller)

Usually Channing Tatum’s presence in a cast list for a drama is an immediate turn-off for me. But I am a sucker for comedic actors crossing over into the drama genre, and Steve Carell may just be the best. Bennett Miller directed Oscar-winning “Capote,” my favorite film in 2005 and “Moneyball,” which was nominated for six Oscars in 2011, so I am excited for his upcoming venture.

7. “Noah” (Darren Aronofsky)

This is one of two films that feature Russell Crowe-Jennifer Connelly collaborations, after their first collaboration (A Beautiful Mind) in 2001 landed each a best acting Oscar. Another Oscar-winning actor Anthony Hopkins and Emma Watson round out the cast in Darren Aronofsky’s first directing effort since the critically-acclaimed “Black Swan” in 2010.

6. “Skeleton Twins” (Craig Johnson)

Speaking of comedic actors crossing the genre line, former Saturday Night Live cast members Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader make their dramatic debuts in this indie film set for the Sundance Film Festival this month.

5. “How to Catch a Monster” (Ryan Gosling)

Ryan Gosling taking a leave of absence in the prime of his acting career to make his directorial debut? I’m sold.

4. “Boyhood” (Richard Linklater)

This Richard Linklater film will feature one of the most interesting methods of manufacturing time-lapse: not manufacturing it at all. This production has been filming for 11 years, charting the tribulations of a divorced couple as they attempt to raise their son Mason (Ellar Coltrane) from the age of six to the 12th grade.

3. “Knight of Cups” (Terrence Malick)

You can count on two things from a Terrence Malick film. First, you rarely know what is happening in his films, second you get the feeling Malick is operating in another reality.

Confusion aside, Malick’s talent is undeniable, and with the A-list cast of Christian Bale, Natalie Portman and Cate Blanchett (who will likely be coming off a best actress win at the Oscars), this movie should be at the top of everyone’s list.

2. “Interstellar” (Christopher Nolan)

After the “Dark Night” series and “Inception,” the name Christopher Nolan alone should spark the interest of any movie patron. But if you’re not sold, the best cast of the year, including Hollywood heavyweights Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine and Casey Affleck, should have you chomping at the bit to see this film.

1. “Inherent Vice” (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Paul Thomas Anderson possesses one of the greatest minds in the world of cinema and created perhaps the best movie of the century in “There Will Be Blood” (2007).

His follow up was “The Master,” which was my second favorite film of 2012. Anderson retained his lead in “The Master,” Joaquin Phoenix, to play Detective Larry Sportello who investigates the disappearance of a former girlfriend.

Phoenix is a three-time Oscar nominee who commands the screen like few can, but he is jumping out of his element in this lighter, breezier role.

“Vice” is rounded out by a supporting cast that includes Josh Brolin, Jena Malone and Benicio Del Toro. It should be fun to watch it unfold.