Best and worst: campus fashion

By Anyssa Roberts

It was the best of style; it was the worst of style.

I pride myself on having an eye for fashion, and I appreciate all forms of self-expression through the arts. But while many popular campus trends have managed to stand the test of time, it might be time for others to take a seat.

First, a look at the five best fashion trends on campus:

1. Infinity scarves

These practical and versatile scarves are a favorite on campus. An infinite number of patterns and textures make it easy to add dimension to any outfit on a frigid morning.

2. Leather accents

It’s leather weather, and if the snow doesn’t show it, UK students surely do. This trend adds edge to any outfit. Knit sweaters, studded boots and backpacks are just a few ways UK students are playing with this look.

3. Natural hair

There are a million ways women on campus are wearing this trend. More and more black women are making the switch to their naturally curly hair, and there has also been an influx of cute and edgy, short and wavy hairstyles.

4. Heritage casual

The heritage look, an incredible cross-breed of iconic 20th century fashion and 21st century street style, takes the title of best men’s wear trend on campus. Vintage sweaters paired with khaki straight leg pants and denim jeans paired with leather work boots make excellent business casual looks for men on campus.

Now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for — the five worst fashion trends on campus.

1. Style clones

Inspiration can come from anywhere, but there is an obvious difference between being inspired and cloning. Too many UK students are guilty of this fashion faux pas by wearing almost exact replicas of each other’s outfits. To remedy this epidemic, try mixing and matching your organization’s signature look with your own personal twist.

2. Leggings for pants

Leggings and yoga pants are a must at the Johnson Center, but on campus they reveal a little too much behind and not enough fashion sense. To pull off this trend, wear a longer top with a loose fit. Ladies, let’s leave something to the imagination.

3. Sagging

It’s been more than 20 years since sagging debuted, and it is still popular. Unfortunately, it’s a trend no one wants to see. To correct this wardrobe malfunction, simply wear a belt and correctly sized pants.

4. Colored contacts

Colored contacts became popular before most UK freshmen were born, but this trend is dated and unnecessary. Natural eye colors are the most beautiful and the best fit for any individual. Dump those colored contacts and trade them for the original prescription pair.

5. Trucker hats

The trucker hat has been a West Coast fashion staple for years, and even showed up on the runway at a Marc by Marc Jacobs show in 2012, but it’s time to trade the trucker look for a soft printed beanie and upgrade your collegiate headwear.