UK football sorts out final few spots in 2014 class

By Matt Overing

UK football head coach Mark Stoops has continued his impressive run on the recruiting front, with 13 days left until Signing Day.

Four-star cornerback Kendall Randolph (Lincoln High School, Tallahassee, Fla.) confirmed his commitment to the Cats on his Twitter account Tuesday.

His commitment, which was first reported by Kentucky Sports Radio, bumps UK’s 2014 class up to 25 commitments.

Randolph is the fourth player from the state of Florida in the class. His offer list, according to Rivals, included the University of Georgia, the University of Oklahoma and Florida State University.

Most recruiting classes are only allowed 25 scholarship players. However, in a press conference on Dec. 18, Stoops alluded to a rule that will allow UK to sign 28 scholarship players in the 2014 class.

“We can count three back from last year, so we could go up to 28 this year,” Stoops said. “We plan on signing all 28.”

UK signed 23 players in the 2013 class, and player transfers along with dismissals allow for three additional recruits to the 2014 class, according to UK Athletics.

One player no longer on the list of 2014 recruits is tight end Kano Dillon (Vanguard High School, Ocala, Fla.). Dillon was scheduled to visit UK over the weekend but canceled his visit, said Alex Castaneda, Dillon’s high school coach. The 6-foot-5-inch three-star (per 24/7 Sports) tight end is committed to the University of South Florida.

Two players from Lake Wales High School (Lake Wales, Fla.) could help round out the 2014 class. Davion Riley, a three-star tight end according to Rivals, and Dedric Brinson, a two-star cornerback, both have seen interest from UK rise in the last week.

“They love Riley,” Lake Wales High School head coach Rod Shafer said. “They’re just not sure if they have a place for him. Dedric, if they offered him, he would go. He’d like to be at UK.”

Brinson was committed to Iowa State University, but de-committed on Jan. 14. Shafer called UK to gauge their interest, and interest has been shown. But limited scholarship spots means Brinson and Riley may not make the cut for UK’s 2014 class.

Matt Elam (John Hardin High School, Elizabethtown, Ky.) is one player that UK might be holding a scholarship spot for. He will announce his collegiate choice on National Signing Day on Feb. 5, selecting between the University of Alabama and UK, said John Hardin head coach Chad Lewis.