Live updates: UK leads Louisville at halftime

UK guard James Young shoots a layup during the first half of UK Men's Basketball vs. Louisville  at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, December 28, 2013. UK led Louisville 41 to 36 at the half.  Photo by Emily Wuetcher | Staff

UK guard James Young shoots a layup during the first half of UK Men’s Basketball vs. Louisville at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, December 28, 2013. UK led Louisville 41 to 36 at the half. Photo by Emily Wuetcher | Staff

In a raucous Rupp Arena, UK leads the University of Louisville 41-36 at halftime.

Louisville began the game on an 8-0 run, but UK quickly put up a 12-2 run to regain the lead.

From there, UK held a lead of a small margin through the offensive play of freshman forward Julius Randle.

Randle finished the half with 17 points on 7-of-8 shooting, using aggression while driving the ball against several Cardinals in the frontcourt.

Louisville junior guard Chris Jones kept the margin within single digits with 15 points, including 3-of-6 shooting from three. Senior guard Russ Smith added 10, eight of which came in the final seven minutes of the half. Smith rim-rattling dunk completed the first-half scoring.

UK students camped out in front of Rupp Arena on Friday night in preparation for the 4 p.m. start. The line extended along the road in front of the arena before gates opened at 2:30 p.m.

Follow this page along with @KYKernelGray and @KernelSchuh for updates of UK and Louisville at Rupp Arena.