Harper, inside play lift UK Hoops to victory over DePaul

Staff report

UK Hoops freshman guard Linnae Harper, a Chicago native, took full advantage of her homecoming scoring a team-high 18 points with five rebounds in a 96-85 win over DePaul University.

Harper and sophomore guard Janee Thompson had their jerseys retired at local Whitney Young High School the night before the game, and Harper scored a career-high en route to the win for the Cats (10-0).

UK was without senior forward DeNesha Stallworth for the first time this season after she underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Wednesday morning. Senior forward Samarie Walker and junior center Azia Bishop picked up the slack inside, scoring 13 and eight, respectively.

UK played both Harper and Epps in the post as well to help balance the loss of Stallworth and were able to control the rebounding edge, 44-23. UK also surged ahead in bench points by a 45-6 margin.

The Cats lost the turnover battle for the first time this season, turning the ball over 22 times and forcing 16 turnovers. UK has now forced 10 or more turnovers in 162 consecutive games.

The Blue Demons had four players in double digits, led by junior guard Brittany Hrynko who scored a game-high 20 points, despite shooting 5-for-14 from the field.

UK had to claw back from an 11-point deficit in the first half to tie the game at 44 just before the break. The Cats used a 13-4 run toward the end of the game to stretch their slim lead and then held on as the Blue Demons closed down the stretch.

UK shot just 10 three-pointers in the contest compared to DePaul’s 29 attempts from behind the arc. Thompson had eight points and four assists in her homecoming.