“Fast & Furious” star gone too soon

By Jorden Gross

There is always the sting of heartbreak when a well-known celebrity, athlete or other public figure unexpectedly dies. The sting intensifies when it is someone who was not only known worldwide for their talent, but impacted our society in such a positive manner.

Forty-year-old actor Paul Walker , best known for his roles in “Varsity Blues” in 1999 and the “Fast & Furious” franchise, died Saturday, Nov. 30 in a tragic car accident while attending his own charity event, Reach Out Worldwide.

UK students affected by the death voiced their opinions and condolences for Walker and his family. When asked how they thought Walker was different than other celebrities and in what ways he had a positive influence over young people, students had a lot to say.

Sophomore early elementary education major Rachel Browne was in disbelief when she first heard the news.

“I honestly thought it was one of those rumors that gets started and spreads around the Internet. It’s just the strangest feeling that someone can be gone in an instance. ” Brown said.“I loved how he was so involved in charity work. It sets a good example for young adults and college students like us, who are about to start our lives in the professional world.”

Walker and the driver of the 2005 Porsche, Roger Rodas crashed around 3:30 p.m. outside Valencia, Calif. Shortly after authorities arrived, both were pronounced dead, according to the Los Angeles Times.

News of the crash was first reported by TMZ, but quickly revoked when it was rumored to be a hoax. Minutes later, the news was confirmed and a statement was issued on Walker’s Facebook page, according to The Examiner.

The sad story of the crash spread like wildfire; social media trended with homages to the late actor. Disbelief of Walker’s death seemed to be the topic of every conversation.

“I was so shocked when I found out. He’s always been one of my favorite actors, his movies were just so good,” integrated strategic communications major Loren Cataldo.

Cataldo has been an avid fan of Walker since middle school and was seriously affected by the death, she said. The fact he was on his way to his own charity event further bothered Cataldo.

“He wasn’t like other celebrities. He didn’t use his fame to benefit himself,” she said. “He just had more means to help people, so he did.”

Walker was at the heart and soul of the Reach Out World Wide organization, according to the Huffington Post.

Walker, survived by his 15-year-old daughter and other extended family, will be remembered amongst UK students and his worldwide fans as one of the world’s most influential actors and philanthropists, as well as an adrenaline junkie.