Nick Richardson’s high school coach feels Richardson is ready for UK

By Matt Overing | Football beat writer

UK football head coach Mark Stoops continued to make his mark on the recruiting trail when Nick Richardson announced his decision on July 30 to attend UK next year.

Richardson is a 6-foot-4-inch, 283-pound offensive tackle from Westerville, Ohio. His coach, Westerville Central High School head man John Magistro, said he can see why Stoops would want Richardson.

“Nick, he’s a blue chip kind of player,” Magistro said. “I think Coach Stoops said he can come in and contribute right away. He’s a premier offensive lineman from Ohio.”

Richardson is the No. 8 player in the state of Ohio, according to Rivals.

“Ohio loves their football,” Magistro said. “We have a lot of division one athletes that go on to play somewhere. You’ll see a lot of Ohio kids playing at places like Ohio State and Michigan.”

Richardson held offers from the University of Cincinnati, Michigan State University and the University of Mississippi, among others, before his commitment to UK.

Magistro said one of Richardson’s strengths is he doesn’t get intimidated during games.

“Nick doesn’t get intimidated,” Magistro said. “ I’ve seen where teams or some player think they can challenge or intimidate him with a cheap shot or something. You can bet he’ll come back at them. He’s not going to back down. When he has to turn it up a notch, he does.”

Richardson brings athleticism to UK’s offensive line, one that gave up 37 sacks in 2013, worst in the SEC.

“He’s an athlete,” Magistro said. “Nick is very skilled in what he does. He doesn’t just try and get by with brute strength. He has great technique.”

Richardson will have an uphill fight for playing time in his first year at UK. Sophomore right tackle Jordan Swindle and junior left tackle Darrian Miller will return next season. Both have a size and experience advantage over Richardson.

Magistro said Richardson may need a year before becoming a starter, but can come in and contribute right away.

“From a weight room strength standpoint, he may need another year,” Magistro said. “But when you look at the whole package, he’ll come in and show people that he can play. His strength is in his athleticism and technique.”