Students turn out for Christmas parade

Member of the Layfette School band plays trumpet in the Christmas Parade on East Main Street in downtown Lexington, Ky., on Tuesday December 3, 2013. Photo by Joel Repoley

By Jennifer Branscum

Hundreds of people, including UK students, gathered in downtown Lexington Tuesday to watch as fire trucks with blaring sirens and candy tossing elves filled Main Street for Kentucky Utilities’ annual Christmas parade.

The procession started with Lexington’s police force riding motorcycles, horses and walking their dogs.  It continued with sights including Miss Kentucky Allie Leggett, Dr. Seuss characters, classic cars and ice sculptures.

“My favorite thing (about the parade) is all the families,” hospitality senior Sarah Bolus said. “Everyone is so inviting and nice.”

Some of the crowd favorites were the Lafayette High School Marching Band and the March Madness Marching Band.

The bands played a medley of Christmas classics such as “Joy to the World” and entertained the crowd with flag and drum cadences.

“Lafayette and March Madness were my favorites,” Bolus said. “I enjoyed the lighted hoola-hoops that Madness used.”

Others enjoyed the different floats and displays the parade had to offer.

“Kentucky American Water (Company) ice sculpture was one of my favorites, and when the children are dressed up and on a float,” Transylvania University student Julia Pace said.

The parade had a variety of floats and attractions.

“With all the different programs and companies that they have, it is the biggest parade that I’ve been to,” communications senior Ben Murphy said.