Walker leads UK Hoops to 40-point victory

UK center Samarie Walker (23) goes in for a layup during the second half of UK Hoops vs. Bradley at Memorial Colosseum in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday, November 27, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Tyler Spanyer | UK Hoops beat writer

Senior forward Samarie Walker used her career day to lead a balanced attack as UK Hoops rolled past Bradley University 117-77 on Wednesday at Memorial Coliseum.

“Very fast-paced game today,” UK Hoops head coach Matthew Mitchell said. “Glad we could come out today and get the win.”

The 117 points scored are second-most in program history.

In the first half, Walker posted a double-double with 14 points and 10 boards in 15 minutes of play.

“I’ve just been telling myself, lately, to be more aggressive on offense,” Walker said. “And today I was just determined to do that.”

No. 7 UK used a 25-0 run during the middle of the half to break open a game that got as close as three points at the 10 minute mark of the first half.

“We finally started to turn them over,” Mitchell said. “It was a devastating run for them (Bradley). We were finally able to execute our traps and press. Probably our best stretch of defense in the game.”

In the second half, UK used their inside presence to overpower the Braves.

Walker tallied eight points and four boards to give her a new career-high of 22 points to go along with her 14 rebounds. It was her third double-double in four games.

“I thought the big key to today’s game was offensive rebounding,” Mitchell said. “She (Samarie) was fantastic on the offensive glass. She had great energy today.”

Cats junior guard Jennifer O’Neill, senior forward DeNesha Stallworth, senior guard Kastine Evans, sophomore guard Janee Thompson and freshman guard Linnae Harper all scored in double figures.

Each player for UK scored at least five points in the win.

Bradley had three players in double figures including junior guard Michelle Young, who scored a game-high 27 points, most of which came off fast break points, as none of her 21 shots were taken behind the three-point line.

The Cats won the turnover (22-10) and assisting (22-12) battles by wide margins. UK freshman guard Makayla Epps led the team with six assists and zero turnovers in her 17 minutes of action.

The Cats will now face their first ranked opponent of the season when they will host No. 3 University of Louisville at 1 p.m. Sunday in Memorial Coliseum.