Banquet hosted to bring awareness to local issues of hunger and poverty

By Olivia Senter

At a time of year when holiday meals are at the forefront of many minds, two local organizations are teaming up to show the community there are many who may go without food this year.

The Center for Community Outreach and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. are raising awareness about hunger and the impact it has on families in the community.

They are helping to sponsor the Oxfam Social Issues Banquet, which will take place in the Small Ballroom of the Student Center from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday.

At the banquet, experts will discuss how families should deal with food insecurities and ways the community can help with the issue of hunger.

Oxfam is an international confederation that works to free people of poverty around the world. They work to overcome the issue by joining with other organizations, according to their website.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., is a private, not-for-profit organization that supports local, established programs around the world like Oxfam, according to the sorority’s website.

Kamla Jones, AmeriCorp VISTA adviser at the CCO, is expecting about 50 to 60 students to attend.

“Even the smallest thing can alleviate the issue,” said Kamla Jones, AmeriCorp VISTA advisor at the CCO.

This philosophy of small change is what the CCO hopes to convey to students through the banquet, Jones said.

She said the emphasis is on the UK and Lexington community. This will have more of an impact on the students, even though the facts and statistics provided will be based on the world populations.

Jones said Students will be most surprised by the facts they will hear about each social class in relation to hunger.

“The banquet is going to be a great opportunity to learn more about the issue of hunger around the world and in Kentucky,” Jones said. “You will definitely benefit from this event and be glad that you did come.”