UK volleyball sweeps Ole Miss and MSU on Mississippi road trip

Staff report

UK Volleyball swept its set of weekend games in Starkville, Miss., against Mississippi State University (25-18, 25-21, 25-14) and in Oxford, Miss., against the University of Mississippi.

UK gets its 20th win as the Cats improve to 20-6 on the season and 12-3 in conference play.

The Cats recorded 19 blocks against Mississippi State and held them to a .008 hitting percentage, both season bests for UK.

“To have 19 blocks in three sets is a big deal,” UK head coach Craig Skinner said. “Our offense wasn’t smooth, so it was great to be so effective at the net.”

The 19 blocks is the highest total for a UK team since the 2011 season and the most in a three-set match in UK history in the 25-point rally era.

UK senior middle blocker Alexander Morgan recorded 11 of her team’s 19 blocks for a career-high and freshman outside hitter Anni Thomasson registered a team-high nine kills for the fourth straight game.

Mississippi State falls to (2-11) in the SEC and (11-16) on the season with just five games remaining in the regular season.

UK took down Ole Miss (25-23, 25-22, 25-21) behind a team-high 11 kills by senior outside hitter Whitney Billings.

UK sophomore middle blocker Sara Schwarzwalder returned from an injury against Ole Miss that has kept her out of the lineup since Nov. 3, and helped her team with six kills.

Ole Miss freshman Melanie Crow registered a game-high 12 kills and was the only player on her team in double figures.

Ole Miss moves to 13-14 on the year and 3-11 in conference play as they head to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to take on the University of Alabama on Friday.

The Cats will finish up the regular season slate of games with three home games, starting with Texas A&M University at 7 p.m. on Friday and the University of Missouri at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday.