Behind enemy lines: Missouri’s defense provides big challenge for UK

By Matt Overing | Football beat writer

UK will host one of the most prolific pass rushes in the nation on Saturday.

No. 8 University of Missouri will visit Commonwealth Stadium for the first time this weekend. The Tigers’ defensive front is led by senior defensive end Michael Sam, who leads the nation with 10 sacks.

UK head coach Mark Stoops said Missouri’s defense relies on their front four linemen.

“They mix it up, but they really count a great deal on their front four,” Stoops said.  “With their four guys, it gives them some more guys in pass coverage.  We’ll have our hands full.  That’s a very active front.”

David Morrison, Missouri beat writer for the Columbia Daily Tribune, said that the front four is Missouri’s biggest improvement this year.

“They are one of the most productive lines in the country,” Morrison said. “Sam is one of the nation’s leaders in sacks. Most of the improvement (on defense) comes down to what they’re doing on the line.”

Missouri leads the SEC with 17 interceptions in nine games. That statistic is good for second-best in the country. However, Missouri is last in the SEC in passing yardage allowed at 279.3 yards per game.

Morrison said the Missouri defense has a “bend, don’t break” mentality that stems from a stingy run defense that allows 109.4 yards per game, third-best in the SEC.

“Missouri is very good against the run,” Morrison said. “Teams play catch-up against Missouri. They give up a lot of yards between the 20’s, but inside the 20, they toughen up.”

Offensively, Missouri sports one of the best offenses in the country. Stoops said that Missouri’s balance on offense will make them a tough matchup.

“Missouri is a very good football team,” Stoops said. “They are balanced, do a good job of running it, throwing it, keeping (the defense) off balance.”

Missouri’s rushing attack is second in the SEC, averaging 237.2 yards per game. Through the air, Missouri averages 262.8 yards per game, good for fifth in the conference. Only Texas A&M averages more offensive yards per game than Missouri.

Senior quarterback James Franklin leads the Tigers’ offense with 311.2 total offensive yards per game. Franklin suffered a shoulder injury against Georgia in the sixth game of the season.

Franklin’s replacement, freshman Maty Mauk, has started the Tigers’ last three games. Missouri is 2-1 in that stretch and 6-0 with Franklin in the starting lineup.

“They’re both very good quarterbacks,” Stoops said. “Their offense basically stays the same.”

Morrison said that Missouri fans are surprised at the team’s performance this year, but they expect a win on Saturday.

“I’m not entirely sure they expected to be successful this year,” Morrison said. “I think a lot of Missouri fans expect a win (against UK).”

This product is the best medicine I have tried. It works well if taken 3 times a day, before each meal. Order viagra? Many rogue pharmacies are happy to bypass a doctor’s prescription in order to win your business.