Riggs’ hat trick on Senior Day paces Cats’ victory

By Justin Chartrand

Senior forward Tyler Riggs’ hat trick powered UK men’s soccer to a 6-1 victory on Senior Day over Florida Atlantic University on Sunday at the UK Soccer Complex.

The Cats came into Senior Day against FAU off of a 2-0 win over Marshall University.

The Cats are losing four seniors after this season. Riggs, defender Steven Perinovic, forward Brad Doliner and goalkeeper Jack Van Arsdale were the seniors honored.

“They have been a huge part of my career to this point … They are four fantastic guys off the field … for me it’s been a blessing to have them for two years … They’ve been a huge part to what we have done to this point,” UK head coach Johan Cedergren said.

In the 34th minute, the Cats connected on a pin-point shot in the back lower-right corner of the goal from freshman forward Kaelon Fox to put the Cats up 1-0.

Shortly after, the Cats connected off a corner kick in the 36th minute. The pass came from freshman midfielder Napo Matsoso and was set up for Perinovic to head the ball into the back of the net.

UK controlled the ball all throughout the first period. The Cats had six shots-on-goal and held FAU to only one shot-on-goal. Coming out of the half up 2-0, the Cats connected right away on the 45th minute on a shot from Riggs.

Sophomore midfielder Bryan Celis and junior forward Justin Laird picked up an assist on the goal.

Riggs tallied his second goal of the game in the 56th minute. Matsoso and Laird also tallied their second assists on the game on the goal.

UK freshman midfielder Ryan Creel connected for the first goal of his UK soccer career in the 64th minute. Riggs connected in the 79th minute for his third goal of the game and his first career hat trick on an assist from Creel.

“It seemed like everything I touched went positive for me. I’m so thankful … this was just a perfect night,” Riggs said.

FAU’s one goal came in the 90th minute from sophomore midfielder Ronald Garcia.

“It’s been a great five years here, and it’s great to go out on a win like that,” Perinovic said.

The Cats will face Wright State University at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the UK Soccer Complex.