Macumber’s 3rd-place finish highlights Cats’ efforts at Pre-Nationals

Staff report

UK men’s and women’s cross country wrapped up the regular season at the Pre-National Invitational on Saturday in Terre Haute, Ind. with a third-place finish from senior Cally Macumber.

The races were held on the campus of Indiana State University.

Macumber continued her season of high finishes by placing third in the 6,000-meter run with a time of 20:12.15, just three seconds away from the first-place time of Boise State University junior Emma Bates, who ran the race in 20:09:09.

“There’s pressure on your stars,” UK head coach Edrick Floreal said before the meet. “If they don’t do their absolute best, then their whole team will be impacted.”

UK seniors Allison Peare and Anna Bostrom placed in the top 100. Peare finished 66th with a time of 21:12.83. Bostrom came in 94th with a time of 21:24.20. Overall, the UK women’s team placed 15th.

The women’s field included nine 2012 All-Americans and six runners who missed becoming an All-American last year by less than a minute at the NCAA Championships.

The meet hosted 340 athletes in the women’s 6,000-meter run. In the men’s race, senior Matt Hillenbrand ran a record best time on Saturday in the 8,000-meter run, clocking in at 24:24.48. Senior Adam Kahleifeh was the next best finish for the Cats, placing 104th with a time of 24:38.13.

Sophomore Zack Beavin also cracked the top 200 for the Cats, coming in at 25:05.65 with a 182nd place finish. The men’s team finished 35th overall in the event, where three of the nation’s top four men’s teams were running. The race featured 359 men in total.

The Cats have closed out their regular season and will begin postseason play in two weeks at the SEC Championships in Gainesville, Fla. on Nov. 1.