UK men’s soccer returns to conference play against South Carolina

Staff report

Coming off a 2-1 defeat in a non-conference matchup with Evansville University Tuesday, UK men’s soccer (3-6-0, 1-1-0 C-USA) will return to Conference-USA play against the University of South Carolina (4-5-2, 1-1-0 C-USA) Sunday.

In the loss to the Purple Aces, UK held a 26-11 advantage in shots, as the Cats have an overall shots advantage of 148-77 over opponents this season.

The Cats have outshot their opponents in seven of nine games this season, though they have been outscored 13-11 overall.

Scoring the Cats’ lone goal against Evansville was senior forward Tyler Riggs. The goal was his first of the season.

Senior midfielder Brad Doliner leads UK with four goals and one assists this season, as sophomore outside back Isak Krogstad adds three goals and two assists.

Doliner was awarded C-USA Offensive Player of the Week honors for scoring both goals in the Cats’ 2-1 victory over Old Dominion University on Oct. 4.

Leading South Carolina in scoring is junior defender Mahamoudou Kaba with five goals on 14 shots. Sophomore midfielder Ryan Arambula has taken 27 shots this season and dished four assists. Senior midfielder J.P. Rafferty and sophomore midfielder Jeffrey Torda have scored two goals apiece for the Gamecocks this season.

South Carolina averages 1.36 goals per game, while also allowing opponents to score an average of 1.36 goals per game.

The Gamecocks have lost five of their past 10 matches.

UK and South Carolina are set to play at 1 p.m. at the UK Soccer Complex.