Cool Cats prepare for Kalamazoo

By Char Grimm | Hockey Beat Writer

The UK hockey team (3-3-0) travels to Kalamazoo, Mich., to participate in the American Collegiate Hockey Association Division II Showcase this weekend.  The Cats will face Northern Michigan University (5-3-0) on Friday morning, Robert Morris University (3-1-0) Saturday evening, and Ferris State University (1-3-0) Sunday evening.

“We’re playing three top teams. We’re just going to take it a game at a time,” UK senior goaltender Aaron Tenfelde said.

Northern Michigan is ranked No. 9 and Robert Morris is ranked No. 12 in the Central region of the ACHA. Although Ferris State received votes in the ranking, they did not make the top fifteen Central region teams. UK competes in the Southeast region, but the Cats are unranked.

UK is led by senior defenseman Jeremy Schmidt with four goals. Schmidt also leads the team in points (seven) and penalty minutes (32).

Northern Michigan is led by senior forward Neeco Belanger with 12 points. Senior forward Kellan Michalak leads the team in goals scored with seven to his name. Junior forward Wolff Belanger leads the team in penalty minutes with 33.

Leading Robert Morris in points is senior defenseman Terry Gagleard with four. Senior forward Nick Webster, freshman defenseman Jake Floro, and graduate defenseman Bobby Kilian lead the team with two goals apiece. Sophomore forward Jordan DeYoung leads the team in penalty minutes with 22.

Senior forward Michael King leads Ferris State with his eight points and four goals. Sophomore defenseman Toni Tilleson leads the team in penalty minutes with 13.

The largest obstacle facing UK this weekend will be fighting physical and mental fatigue playing three games in three days.

“We’ll be rested for the first game with the seven-hour bus trip, but after that it’s just roll four lines,” Tenfelde said.

The Cats hope to keep fresh legs on the ice, particularly against such top opponents. After putting together two complete games against Indiana University of Pennsylvania last weekend, the team is anxious to keep playing 60 minutes each game.

“It’ll be rough,” UK junior forward Andrew Baron said. “We’ll be tired, but we just need to play our game and pass, shoot, and score.”