Men’s soccer looking to end losing streak with game against Old Dominion

Staff report
sports@kykernel.com

UK men’s soccer (2-5-0, 0-1-0 C-USA) will travel to Norfolk, Va. on Friday to take on Old Dominion University (4-2-1, 1-0 C-USA), with a chance to put an end to a four-game losing streak.

Sophomore midfielder Isak Krogstad crosses the ball during the UK men's Soccer game against UAB at the UK Soccer Complex in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday, September, 29, 2013. Photo by Jonathan Krueger | Staff

Sophomore midfielder Isak Krogstad crosses the ball during the UK men’s Soccer game against UAB at the UK Soccer Complex in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday, September, 29, 2013. Photo by Jonathan Krueger | Staff

A recurring theme for the Cats this season has been missed scoring opportunities, as they have taken 108 shots with 45 on target, resulting in only eight goals this season.

UK’s opponents have taken 49 shots this season, but they have scored 10 goals against the Cats.

The trend continues as the Cats come off of a 2-1 loss at the hands of the University of Alabama at Birmingham on Sunday.

In the loss, the Cats took 19 shots on goal. Senior midfielder Brad Doliner scored UK’s only goal on a penalty kick in the last minute of play.

“We’ve just got to go back to the drawing board tomorrow,” UK head coach Johan Cedergren said after the loss against UAB. “We’ll train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and then we’ll travel to ODU, and hopefully we can turn this around.”

UK sophomore forward Isak Krogstad leads the team with three goals and two assists this season.

The Monarchs’ goals-against average per game is 1.57, compared to UAB’s 0.56.

UK’s defense will face a high-scoring ODU offense, with the Monarchs averaging two goals per game, ranking 21st in the nation.

Senior forward Tim Hopkinson, a native of Nottingham, England, leads ODU’s attack this season with six goals. Junior forward Ivan Militar of Szeged, Hungary, adds three goals and two assists for the Monarchs.

Riding a four-game unbeaten streak, ODU is coming off a 2-1 victory over then-No.9 Tulsa University in the first game of Conference USA play for each team.

Goals from ODU sophomore midfielder Geoffrey Hill (35th minute) and Militar (74th minute) gave the Monarchs the victory.

The game between UK and ODU will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at the ODU Soccer Stadium.