Woodyard and Trevathan among former Cats showcasing NFL success in Week 4

Denver Broncos outside linebacker Wesley Woodyard (52) and Broncos cornerback Kayvon Webster (36) celebrate after making a big defensive stop during the first half against the Oakland Raiders at Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium in Denver, Colorado, Monday, September 23, 2013. (Mark Reis/Colorado Springs Gazette/MCT)

By Ben Tompkins

In the fourth week of the NFL season, former Cats continued to see success on the field, from Denver to Buffalo.

In Denver, linebackers Wesley Woodyard and Danny Trevathan played key defensive roles as the Broncos beat the Philadelphia Eagles, 52-20.

In the victory, Woodyard recorded half of a sack, four solo tackles and assisted in another four to combine for a total of eight. With Sunday’s performance, Woodyard now leads the Broncos’ defense in tackles with 33.

Just behind Woodyard on the stat sheet is Danny Trevathan, who had one of his strongest statistical games of the year.

Trevathan logged nine solo tackles, a career best, and one assisted tackle.

In his second year in the NFL, Trevathan has compiled 24 solo and six assisted tackles to combine for 30, and has one sack and one interception.

Playing sparingly this season, Denver tight end Jacob Tamme caught his first pass of the season against the Oakland Raiders on Monday, Sept. 23.

Tamme, who was injured to start the season, has played in three of four games this season, but did not register any stats until the Oakland game. He now has five yards on the year.

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson’s productivity decreased in a 23-20 victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

Johnson leads the Bills in receptions, receiving yards and targets, but the wide out caught only one pass for a negative yard on Sunday. Through four games, Johnson has caught 18 passes for 235 yards and two touchdowns.

In a 30-23 loss the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons defensive tackle Corey Peters made two solo stops and combined for another three assisted tackles to give him a total of five.

Peters now has 17 total tackles and a sack for a Falcons defense that ranks 26th in the league in total defense.

After scoring his first touchdown of the season last week, Arizona Cardinals running back Alfonso Smith did not see any touches in the team’s 13-10 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His season totals remain at 16 carries for 54 yards and one touchdown.

Detroit guard Larry Warford and the Lions handed the Chicago Bears their first loss of the season, 40-32. Warford has climbed ten spots on Mel Kiper’s rookie list and is now listed as the third in Kiper’s rookie ratings.

Cincinnati Bengals defensive end DeQuin Evans is still serving his eight-game suspension for violating the league’s drug policy. Evans will be eligible to play again on Nov. 10 in a game against the Baltimore Ravens.

Randall Cobb and Tim Masthay were not in action this week as the Green Bay Packers had a bye week.

With 21 receptions, 290 yards and two touchdowns, not only does Cobb lead the Packers receiving corp, but through three games he ranked seventh amongst all other wide receivers in yards. The Packers return to action against the Lions this week.