South Carolina’s Sutton is ready for visiting Cats

By Matt Overing | Football beat writer

University of South Carolina senior defensive end Chaz Sutton knows what it is like to lose to UK.

The Cats defeated the Gamecocks in 2010, coming back from an 18-point halftime deficit to win 31-28, when Sutton was a redshirt freshman.

UK will travel to Columbia, S.C. on Saturday to face No. 13 South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium.

In an interview with the Kernel, Sutton said he and his team believe the Cats are a dangerous team.

“We have an expectation for every team that comes in our stadium,” Sutton said. “This is a team that can possibly beat us. We have to prepare ourselves to come out with a W.”

South Carolina defeated UK 54-3 when the two teams last met at Williams-Brice Stadium in 2011. Last year, the Cats held a 17-7 halftime lead before South Carolina responded with 31 unanswered points in the second half.

Sutton said he will treat this game like any other.

“You never know what is going to happen,” Sutton said. “We just have to go into the game and hope we can make plays.”

Last year, South Carolina led the SEC in sacks with 43. This year, South Carolina is second in the conference, averaging three sacks per game.

The opposite side of Sutton on the defensive line is junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

Both Sutton and Clowney have recorded two sacks this season. Sutton said his goal is to force teams to scheme for him and his teammates not just for consensus All-American in Clowney.

UK head coach Mark Stoops told reporters on Tuesday that he will not reveal which quarterback will receive a majority of the snaps on Saturday. South Carolina will prepare for both, Sutton said, but the gameplan can still change before Saturday.

Sutton is expecting the UK offense to pull some strings.

“This team can get a first down or a touchdown, and we always prepare ourselves to be ready for that on special teams and defense,” he said. “I expect to go out and play hard and make plays.”