Students tailoring majors to job market

By Anyssa Roberts | Assistant News Editor

After the recession, several job markets took a turn, for what many saw as the worst downsizing in recent American history.

As the economy recovers, many college students are choosing their majors based on chances of employment after graduation.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs with the greatest employment growth are registered nurses, retail sales people, home health aides, personal care aides and general office clerks, with an average of $30,434 per year.

According to the bureau’s finding, these jobs have more than 70 percent growth prospects, compared to the national average of 14.3 percent. However, most of these positions do not require a college degree.

Of the top five jobs, only a registered nurse requires an associate’s degree, according to the bureau.

“Job prospects are great,” nursing senior Katie Voigts said. “With just a nursing degree you can work as a bedside nurse, and you can even go farther and become a practitioner.”

Voigts said her goal is to attend medical school.

If Voigt becomes a nurse and the job prospects remain steady until she graduates from medical school, she could earn a median of $64,690 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In terms of earning, if someone with a college degree snags the job they want, they could stand to make an average of $59,230 every year, according to National Center for Education Statistics.

About 27 percent of students with college degrees get jobs in the corresponding field, according to the Washington Post.