‘King Rex’ reflects on prosperous UK career

By Lindsay Travis

Former UK basketball star Rex Chapman, also known as “King Rex” by fans, will return to Lexington this weekend to be inducted into the UK Athletics Hall of Fame.

“Being an in-state player, he was one of the most popular players in Kentucky history,” said Tony Neely, a UK Athletics media relations director who participates in the Hall of Fame voting.

Chapman, who was born in Bowling Green, grew up in Owensboro. In the two years at UK from 1986-88, Chapman was named All-SEC twice, SEC Tournament MVP, Academic All-SEC and an All-American.

“He starred as a freshman,” Neely said. “For him to make that kind of impact as a freshman was an amazing thing back then.”

At that time, high school players didn’t have as many opportunities to develop their skills in travel leagues, such as AAU, as they do today.

Chapman led the Cats in scoring as a freshman and a sophomore, with 464 and 609 points, respectively.

As a sophomore he also led the Cats in 3-point shots with 66 and in steals with 53.

He has the seventh-highest 3-point field goal percentage in UK history, sinking the trey 41.5 percent of the time.

“It was so fun there at Kentucky,” Chapman said. “It was great playing and representing the state, especially growing up in the state, being Kentucky born and bred. I really enjoyed it.”

Chapman declared for the NBA draft after his sophomore year and was picked eighth overall by the Charlotte Hornets. He was the first player ever signed by the Hornets out of the draft, according to NBA.com.

He would eventually be traded to the Washington Bullets and again to the Miami Heat. Chapman finally signed with the Phoenix Suns and remained there for four seasons until he retired from professional basketball.

Despite receiving individual accolades for years, Chapman chooses to use this time to reflect on his teammates.

“I had really good upperclassmen that were ahead of me, guys like Paul Andrews and James Blackmon, Ed Davender,” Chapman said. “Those teammates of mine really helped me. They welcomed me with open arms, really kind of took me under their wing and allowed me to relax.”

Chapman also appreciates the history of UK basketball.

“The thing about Kentucky basketball is that, whether I would’ve been there or not, it would be where it is today,” Chapman said. “I think that I had some impact while I was there, but Kentucky basketball is what it is and it will always survive.”

Chapman is also excited to return home to Kentucky for the ceremony.

“I’m really happy to see all the people in Lexington, where so many of us had so many good times over the years,” Chapman said.

“The Boy Wonder” will be inducted in the UK Athletics Hall of Fame alongside a former classmate and football player Oliver Barnett.

Taking the stage as well will be former men’s basketball coach Orlando “Tubby” Smith, former women’s basketball player Leslie Nichols, former men’s tennis player Jesse Witten and former track and cross country star Press Whelan.

“I’m really honored, especially to be going in with this group of people,” Chapman said. “Hopefully, to cap things off, we’ll sneak up on Florida this weekend in the football game. It’s been a while.”