Men’s soccer travel to East Tennessee State

Staff report

UK men’s soccer will visit East Tennessee State University on Thursday, looking to pick up its second win of the season.

The Cats and the Buccaneers will meet each other in Summers-Taylor Stadium in Johnson City, Tenn., for the second match of the season for both teams.

UK approaches Thursday riding a 1-0 victory over Georgia State University, with the lone goal scored in the 86th minute by senior defender Brad Doliner, who was playing forward against the Panthers. The goal was the first of Doliner’s career.

The Buccaneers suffered a different fate in their last match, falling 1-0 to the University of South Carolina without senior forward David Geno, who was named the 2012 Atlantic Sun Player of the Year.

Boasting 15 freshmen, the Cats carry a young roster into the season, with defender Steven Perinovic, goalkeeper Jack Van Arsdale, forward Tyler Riggs and Doliner as the only seniors on the team.

The Buccaneers have more experience, with only nine freshmen and seven seniors. Seniors include Geno and midfielder Itode Fubara, who was selected to the 2012 All-Atlantic Sun First Team.

ETSU and UK faced off at the UK Soccer Complex last season, with the Cats emerging victorious, 3-1, on Sept. 19. Geno scored ETSU’s only goal in the match, as Perinovic contributed a goal for the Cats.

Thursday’s match will begin at 7 p.m.