Twisted food truck is a new food option for students

The new Fusion food truck in Lexington, Ky., on Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher | Staff

The new food truck, Twisted, in Lexington, Ky., on Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher | Staff

By Laura Shrake | Assistant News Editor

lshrake@kykernel.com

Amid many renovations around UK, students will also notice multiple additions and changes to Dining Services.

“It’s an uphill battle fighting to get students to notice what’s there,” said Scott Henry, executive director of Dining Services, referring to new food options on campus. “We’re trying some (new things).”

Newest additions Dickey Hall, near the Newtown Crossing Apartment complex, has recently opened a new restaurant that serves sandwiches, soups and salads.

Henry said a contest is underway to name the new cafe. The new dining location will cater to an underserved part of campus, he said.

The next closest on-campus restaurant was the Student Center.

Another new food option students will have on campus is Twisted, a university-owned food truck.

The truck will drive around campus and rotate four menus including Asian tacos, sliders, a Greek menu and an Asian noodle bar.

The location and menu of the food truck will be available on Twisted’s Twitter account, @ukyTWISTED.

Both Twisted and the cafe in Dickey Hall will accept Flex Dollars, Plus Account and cash, Henry said.

Dining updates On both North and South campus, students can now use meal swipes for breakfast at Blazer and Commons.

Henry said both dining locations will have Minute Maid smoothies, a burger of the day, international menus, and rotating options at the salad and deli bar.

Furthermore, the Quick Stop at Blazer will now feature a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine where people can customize their drinks.

Central campus Students will also have new options at the Student Center, Intermezzo and Fusion, all of which will now accept meal swipes.

Before, all used to be just Flex Dollars and Plus Account. Chick-fil-A, Subway and Panda Express will now accept meal swipes between 5 and 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

The Student Center Quick Stop, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A and Subway will now have extended hours on the weekends, Henry said.

There’s also a new restaurant in the Student Center called Say Cheese, which will offer gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and unique specials, he said.

“I want all the residents to know where they can go with their dining plans,” Henry said. “We’re trying to be different and stand out.”

Across campus, students are excited about the changes to Dining Services.

“I think it’s a smart option,” freshman Maddie Conrad said. “And who doesn’t like options?”

For more information about hours of operation, visit the UK Dining Services website at uky.edu/DiningServices.