Duke at Rupp Arena, Louisville at Memorial Coliseum included in UK Hoops’ non-conference schedule

UK sophomore point guard Jennifer O’Neill during the second half of the UK vs. Marist basketball game at Memorial Coliseum on Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012. Photo by Adam Chaffins

By Tom Hurley | @TomHurley

A home game with Louisville at Memorial Coliseum and a Rupp Arena contest with Duke are included in 2013-14 non-conference schedule for UK Hoops, released Tuesday.

The Cats will also face Baylor at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium on Dec. 6 as part of a double-header featuring a game between men’s basketball teams of each school.

“Since I’ve been the head coach, we think it’s the most challenging nonconference schedule that we’ve ever had and also the most exciting,” UK Hoops Coach Matthew Mitchell said in a UK Athletics press release. “We think it’s going to prepare us for the Southeastern Conference which is the No. 1 goal always. Then, we want to make it as exciting as possible for our fans.”

UK will begin its’ 2013-14 slate with an exhibition game against Eckerd College at Memorial Coliseum on  Nov. 3, before opening the regular season with games at Marist and Wagner.

The Cats then play five of their next six games at Memorial Coliseum, the last of which comes against the rival Louisville Cardinals.

“We have an extremely exciting game in Memorial against Louisville, who we’ve always had terrific games with and they are coming off a great year,” Mitchell said in the press release. “I would have to think that will be a highly anticipated matchup.”

The double-header contest in Baylor is next up for the Cats, who then host Duke at Rupp Arena on Dec. 2 in their penultimate non-conference matchup.

“The Duke game in Rupp Arena, we feel like we have a chance to break the UK Hoops attendance record and sell out Rupp Arena for the first time in the program’s history,” Mitchell said in the press release. “We feel like that will be an exciting portion of the home schedule.”

Times have yet to be announced for any of the games.

UK Hoops 2013-14 schedule

Nov 3. vs. Eckerd College

Nov. 8 at Maris

Nov. 10 at Wagner

Nov. 13 vs. Georgia Southern

Nov. 17 vs. Central Michigan

Nov. 21 vs. Lipscomb

Nov. 24 at Middle Tennessee State

Nov. 27 vs. Bradley

Dec. 1 vs. Louisville.

Dec. 6 at Baylor (AT&T Stadium)

Dec. 12 at Depaul

Dec. 15 vs. Eastern Tennessee State

Dec. 22 vs. Duke (Rupp Arena)

Dec. 29 vs. Grambling State