Columnist reflects on year’s trends, events

By Amanda Powell | @KyKernel

­­Because this is my last column, I want to recognize the students on UK’s campus for providing inspiration for my articles. I have had the opportunity to watch and witness creativity in all different departments at the university, and it has certainly been a whirlwind writing about it.

This school year has provided a lot of entertainment in the fashion industry. From Sofia Vergara’s dress ripping open at the Emmys to Lady Gaga’s racy Vogue photo shoot, there was never a dull moment.

My hope is that this column provided an interesting and useful read once a week in the Kernel. I also hope that everyone continues to find his or her personal style. Enjoy being at UK and take classes from the remarkable professors who have worked in fashion all over the world.

If anyone is still trying to find his or her niche, designers in town have put together groups such as the Lexington Fashion Collaborative where connections can be built with people who share the same interests.

Fashion can bring people together, and it allows us to express ourselves. I have loved being able to report on style over the past two semesters. Profiling students on campus and listening to concerns about the industry in lectures and interviews makes me believe the fashion scene will continue to grow and thrive in Lexington.

Lexington is becoming more fashion savvy by the day. Not only are popular brands opening stores in the area, but there are a lot of boutiques to shop local, and many are walking distance from campus.

I have already seen the community embrace vintage shops and support efforts to go green. It is surprising how many items you can find in these stores that are being sold for double the price by popular labels. And one thing I’ve learned through profiling and speaking to shoppers is that it is possible to find current trends and not break the bank.

Summer items are now in stores and I have already witnessed some of the best looks on classmates. My last bit of advice is to savor the sun after a long winter and enjoy the less-is-more mentality this season with cropped shirts and cutout dresses.

Remember to be bold and daring and continue to have fun with outfits and accessories. I am glad to have been the liaison between the fashion scene and campus, and I give my best wishes to all of my stylish readers.