Diversity office hosts grad celebration

By Jacob Beaten | @KyKernel

news@kykernel.com

UK’s Office for Institutional Diversity will host the Harambee Celebration on May 2 at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Grand Ballroom.

The Harambee Celebration is a traditional, intimate gathering for parents, family, friends, faculty and staff to honor and recognize students preparing to graduate from UK.

“Harambee pomoja is Swahili for ‘pulling together,’ thus we are recognizing not only the students as the graduate, but the people that supported and encouraged them as well,” said Ashley Carrasco, a student affairs officer with the Center for Academic Resources and Enrichment Services.

The ceremony will begin with President Eli Capilouto giving open remarks. Then award-winning poet, author and UK English professor Nikky Finney will present as the ceremony’s keynote speaker. Also attending the ceremony will be Judy “J.J.” Jackson, the vice president for institutional diversity.

More than 200 guests are expected at the event, Carrasco said. A reception will immediately follow the graduation ceremony.

“As someone who is preparing to graduate, I know how hard it has been to get to this point. After years of hard work, it is important that these graduating students are recognized for their accomplishments,” integrated strategic communication senior Bryan O’Loughlin said.

Although registration for the event is closed, students are still encouraged to attend the event to support their fellow students, Carrasco said. The 2013 Harambee Celebration is sponsored by the Center for Academic Resources and Enrichment Services, the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Center and Student Support Services.