Andrew Wiggins, UK signees set for Nike Hoop Summit

By Matt Overing | @KyKernelSports

Ten Americans will take on 11 of the best high school basketball players from around the world on Saturday at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Ore.

The 16th annual Nike Hoop Summit will feature four future UK players.

Three players from the Class of 2013 will be playing for the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Select Team: Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison and Julius Randle.

Karl Towns Jr., UK’s only commitment from the Class of 2014 thus far, will represent the Dominican Republic at the event.

No other college in the country has more than one representative in Saturday’s game.

Towns will be playing on a team featuring Andrew Wiggins, the top-ranked player in the Class of 2013, and a UK target.

Wiggins and Towns are rooming together for the event, and Towns told Larry Vaught of The Danville Advocate that he is enjoying Wiggins’ company.

“We are having a blast,” Towns said. “We are enjoying each other, enjoying time with each other. He is so athletic and skilled on the court. Me and him are so outgoing with each other.”

Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Randle and Wiggins competed in the Jordan Brand Classic and McDonald’s All-American games earlier this month.

All four were on the losing side of the Jordan Brand Classic, where Randle won co-MVP honors with Jabari Parker, a Duke commitment.

Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee and James Young were named to the Jordan Brand Classic and McDonald’s All-American game but were not invited to the Nike Hoop Summit.

Wiggins, a 6-foot-8, 197-pound small forward, played in the Nike Hoop Summit last year. He is the only player on either roster with experience at the event.

Last year, Wiggins led the World Select team with 20 points and added seven rebounds en route to the MVP award.

UK still has a chance to land Wiggins, who has yet to announce his collegiate decision.

Eleven Nike Hoop Summit alumni have landed in Lexington after taking part in the prestigious high school all-star game.

Two (Enes Kanter and Kyle Wiltjer) played for the World Select team.

Last year, Archie Goodwin and Nerlens Noel represented UK in the event.

The 2013 Nike Summit will be televised live Saturday with coverage beginning on ESPN2 at 7 p.m.