Organizers aim for inclusion at Pride Week

By Laura Shrake | @kykernel

The LGBT Task Force and the Office for Institutional Diversity are partnering with campus offices, departments and organizations to bring the largest Pride Week in history to campus.

More than 20 events will be part of Pride Week, including a pride button-making session, free HIV testing, discussions about gay rights issues before the Supreme Court, and a pride photo shoot and “GAYLA,” an anniversary celebration and drag show hosted by OUTsource, an LGBT campus resource.

“The primary focus and motivation of Pride Week is to celebrate and honor the LGBT members of our UK family,” said Eric Morrow, chair of the LGBT Task Force. “It’s an opportunity for everyone else to develop new understandings and to foster new friendships in a safe, fun environment.”

Events for this year’s Pride Week began Thursday with OUTsource and the Late Night Film Series’ showing of “Beginners.” Murrow hopes the Pride Week schedule, with afternoon and evening events, will allow more people to attend. Pride Week will continue through Friday with more events to promote understanding of the LGBT community and to celebrate those who are members of the LGBT community.

“The strongest and most important evidence that our community embraces inclusion and promotes a sense of belonging is the respect that each individual and every group receives from the rest of the campus,” Vice President for Institutional Diversity Judy “J.J.” Jackson said. “Consensus is not the goal, but (we hope for) fairness and mutual respect.”

For a full schedule of events, visit the LGBT Task Force events page at www.uky.edu/Diversity/LGBT/events.html.