Orchestra holding final free concert

By Adam Pennavaria | @KyKernel

The UK Symphony Orchestra will be holding its final free concert of the year Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Singletary Center.

The orchestra will be performing the “War Requiem” by composer Benjamin Britten.

Britten was a composer, conductor and pianist of the 20th century. His most well-known works include the opera “Peter Grimes” and his composition “The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra.”

Friday’s concert will be held in commemoration of Britten’s work and his 100th birthday.

The “War Requiem” was written for the dedication of the new St. John’s Cathedral in Coventry, England in 1962.

The old cathedral had been destroyed in a German air raid in the 1940s. Britten, a pacifist, wrote the piece as an argument against the war.

He also added settings of poetry from English poet-soldier Winfred Owen, who was killed in the closing days of World War I.

“We don’t think the “War Requiem” has been performed previously in Lexington, and certainly not in the last 20-30 years,” UKSO Maestro John Nardolilo said. “The performing forces for the work number more than 300. It calls for three conductors, a large chorus and orchestra, a chamber orchestra, three vocal soloists, organ and children’s choir.”

The UKSO concert is under the instruction of Nardolilo and assistant conductor Marcello Cormio. It will give attendees an opportunity to see some of Lexington’s other musical groups, such as the UK Chorale and the Lexington Singers, both under the instruction of Jeff Johnson. Lexington Singer’s Children’s Chamber Choir, under the instruction of Lori Hetzel, will also perform.

All of the musical groups will be collaborating for the “War Requiem.”