Volleyball entertains Illinois at Memorial Coliseum

By Nick Gray | @KyKernelGray

UK volleyball, on the heels of its third Sweet 16 appearance in four years, begins its spring schedule Saturday when the Cats face Illinois at Memorial Coliseum.

UK has won 20 games in eight consecutive seasons, including a 22-11 record in 2012.

The 2012 Cats won two NCAA Tournament games last season.

Both wins came at home, the first being against East Tennessee State and the second against Ohio State. UK then fell to No. 1 Penn State in a three-set match a week later.

“We need to be better at the end of April than we were in January,” UK head coach Craig Skinner said about his goals for the spring season. “Every day, we are working on specific things and people will be competing for spots. Hopefully every time you step on the court, you want to give yourself a chance to win. But it’s not the most important thing we’re trying to accomplish. It’s more about the overall improvement of the system.”

Skinner said graduating senior Ashley Frazier will play Saturday as junior outside hitter Lauren O’Connor, one of two returning outside hitters, works back from offseason foot surgery.

One of the biggest holes to fill in the UK lineup is libero.

Graduating senior All-American Stephanie Klefot played 98 matches in four years at the position and was the SEC Libero of the Year each of the past three seasons.

Skinner said the position battle is ongoing, but junior Jackie Napper, who started 32 matches in 2012 at defensive specialist, has the edge at this point.

Among the top returning players are O’Connor, Napper, senior outside hitter and All-American Whitney Billings, senior middle blocker Alexandra Morgan, sophomore middle blocker Sara Schwarzwalder, senior defensive specialist Jessi Greenberg and sophomore Kayla Tronick.

All played a part in Skinner’s rotation in 2012. Sophomore setter Morgan Bergren also started four matches.

The Cats’ game against the Fighting Illini is the only home game on the spring schedule.

In April, UK travels to tournaments in Louisville and Indianapolis as well as playing a doubleheader in West Lafayette, Ind., against Ball State and tournament host Purdue.

Saturday’s game against Illinois starts at 4 p.m., with free admission to Memorial Coliseum for all fans.