Tennis teams ready for weekend action

By Tyler Spanyer | @KernelSpanyer

Women hit the road

After losing two straight matches last weekend, UK women’s tennis travels to face No. 8 Alabama and No. 22 Auburn.

The Tigers (14-4, 4-3 SEC) are coming off three consecutive losses against Alabama, South Carolina and Florida.

The Tigers are represented by one player in the ITA 125, freshman Pleun Burgmans who comes in at No. 36. Alabama (14-2, 6-1 SEC) has only two losses on the year one of them coming against SEC rival Florida and Northwestern.

The Tide are represented in the rankings with four players in the top-125, including junior Mary Anne Macfarlane.

Friday’s match against the Crimson Tide is set to begin at 4 p.m. with Sunday’s matchcq against the Tigers set for a noon start.

Men host Alabama and Auburn

After losing two straight matches for just the second time all season, the No. 8-ranked UK men’s tennis (16-6, 4-3 SEC) team looks to rebound against Alabama and Auburn at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center.

The highlight of the previous two losses was senior Anthony Rossi’s upset of No. 7-ranked player KU Singh in a 4-2 loss to No. 3 Georgia.

Rossi has moved up to No. 18 in this week’s ITA rankings. Junior Tom Jomby continues to impress as he too moved up in the ITA rankings to No. 24 this week.

The Crimson Tide (12-7, 3-4 SEC) also come in following two conference losses against Florida and South Carolina.

The Tide have two players ranked in the ITA top 125.

Senior Jarryd Botha comes in this week at No. 69 while freshman Becker O’Shaughnessey is No. 91 in this week’s rankings.

The Tigers (11-6, 3-4 SEC) are coming in fresh off a sweep of Florida at home.

Auburn has three players ranked in the top 125 this week led by senior Andreas Mies who comes in at No. 34. Sophomore Lukas Ollert and junior Daniel Cochrane come in at No. 105 and 106, respectively.

UK will face off with Alabama on Friday at 2 p.m. with the weekend finale on Sunday against Auburn at 1 p.m.