Softball hits road for rematch with WKU

Junior infielder Kara Dill misses tagging a player out at second base during the second game at UK softball double header vs. Arkansas at the Softball Complex in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday, April 11, 2012. Photo by Tessa Lighty | Staff

By Tyler Spanyer | @KernelSpanyer

tspanyer@kykernel.com

After sweeping SEC opponent Mississippi State over the weekend the UK softball team (23-8, 5-4) will head to Bowling Green on Tuesday for their second match-up in two weeks with the HIlltoppers of Western Kentucky.

Senior outfielder Alice O’Brien stole the show for the Cats with her two homerun performance on Friday including a walk-off homerun in the 10th inning. O’Brien went 5-10 on the weekend, including the two homeruns and scored four runs of her own.

Freshman Nikki Saegermann leads the Cats in batting on the season with a .389 average. Junior Lauren Cumbess who has been impressive as a pitcher this season is also third on the team in batting average.

Freshman pitcher Kelsey Nunley leads the Cats from the circle with an impressive 14-3 record and a team-low 1.91 ERA on the year. Nunley has broken many school records already this season, notably being the first pitcher to begin her career 10-0.

In their previous meeting on March 19, UK defeated the Hilltoppers easily 7-1 using offensive explosions in the third and fifth innings to seal the victory. WKU has since gone 2-1 with the loss coming in a series opener against North Texas.

First pitch is set for 8 p.m. in Bowling Green.