Men’s tennis hosting two SEC foes

By Tyler Spanyer | @KernelSpanyer

After winning two big matches in Mississippi last weekend to keep pace in the SEC title hunt, the No. 4 UK men’s tennis team looks to continue that momentum into this weekend as it hosts No. 9 Tennessee and No. 6 Georgia.

UK (16-4, 4-1 SEC) is 4-1 this season against teams ranked in the Top 10.

The Cats moved up six spots to take the No. 4 ranking in this week’s polls. The No. 4 ranking matches the program-best set back in 2002.

Tennessee (15-6, 2-3 SEC) comes into the weekend winners in three out of its past five, including wins over Mississippi State and South Carolina. UT boasts the highest ranked SEC singles player in sophomore Makelis Lieibitis, who is ranked No. 6 in the latest ITA rankings. The Vols also have a doubles team ranked in Lieibitis and sophomore Hunter Reese.

Georgia comes into town to face off with UK for the second time this season. The Cats and Bulldogs last faced in the ITA Indoor National Championships, where UK defeated Georgia 4-2 behind singles wins from senior Anthony Rossi and sophomore Tom Jomby.

Georgia has won six of its last seven matches, including a win over Tennessee.

The Bulldogs top-ranked player is senior KU Singh who is ranked No. 7 in the country. The Bulldogs also have a doubles pair ranked in junior Garrett Brasseaux and sophomore Nathan Pasha who come in as the No. 39-ranked doubles pairing.

Rossi and Jomby are still ranked for the Cats coming in at No. 31 and 32, respectively, while Jomby and his playing partner freshman Kevin Lai are ranked No. 23 in doubles.