Capilouto signs letter to senators

Staff report | @KyKernel

Presidents of public universities in Kentucky, including UK President Eli Capilouto, signed a letter addressed to U.S. Sens. Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell with the aim of making changes in national immigration policies.

Officials at state universities are concerned that good students, researchers and potential employees are being forced to leave the U.S. with the current policy.

As it is now, 140,000 employment-based admissions are permitted in the U.S. each year. According to an article in the Lexington Herald-Leader, this number includes spouses and children of the employees.

“The importance of creating pathways for international students is critical,” UK spokesman Jay Blanton said.

As to whether or not the letter will be effective in enacting change, Capilouto said it is to early to tell.

“We know both Senators McConnell and Paul take this issue very seriously and they always encourage our input and thoughts,” Capilouto said in an email to the Kernel. “That said, it would be difficult to speak to the political process and where reform efforts may go at this juncture. I know both Senators Paul and McConnell have expressed support for reforms.”

Capilouto said the issue is immensely important to the diversity and health of UK.

“The pipeline of international students and immigrants into our university is important. It’s important in terms of having a diverse student body, which adds to our institution’s vibrancy and vitality,” Capilouto said. “And it’s important in adding to our robust research capacity with scholars and scientists who want to come to this country to live and work.”