Men’s tennis readies for National Championships

By Tyler Spanyer | @KernelSpanyer

No. 7 UK men’s tennis team heads out west to Seattle this weekend to battle against the top 16 teams in the country at the ITA Indoor National Championships.

The Cats (8-1) are coming off a pair of wins Tuesday against No. 29 Notre Dame and Eastern Kentucky University.

The big story for UK this season is the doubles point. The Cats have won all but one doubles point this season and look to continue that domination in the National Championships.

Another big story is the play of the bottom two singles players. Sophomore Charles Minc has been stellar this season, posting a 5-0 record from the five spot, most of his wins coming in straight sets.

Junior Grant Roberts, playing in the No. 6 spot, has helped UK secure two important wins this season against No. 8 Oklahoma and No. 29 Notre Dame.

Junior Tom Jomby has also been on form for the Cats, who face SEC foe Mississippi State in the first round Friday morning.

The women’s team comes back home this weekend to host Indiana and Northern Kentucky on Sunday at the Boone Center.

Indiana (8-0) heads into the match looking to keep their perfect start intact. The Hoosiers will play at No. 25 Tennessee on Saturday before making the short trip north to Lexington.

That match gets under way at 11 a.m. Sunday morning, with UK – Northern Kentucky following at 6 p.m.