Gymnastics edged by No. 6 LSU

By Lindsay Travis | @KyKernelSports

It may have been 12 degrees outside, but the competition heated up inside Memorial Coliseum on Friday night where the No. 16 UK gymnastics team took on No. 6 Louisiana State University.

The Cats (4-3, 2-2 SEC) met the Tigers (6-2, 2-1 SEC) for the chance to return to winning ways and continue their home winning streak after the recent road loss to Alabama.

UK came close to causing the upset, but ultimately suffered a loss by 0.625 points.

Junior Audrey Harrison, from Knoxville, Tenn., tied for first in all-around and placed second on balance beam and floor exercise.

“I’m proud of what we did tonight,” Harrison said. “We had mistakes that were not usual for us. It’s rare to see those happen. But it gives us hope for the future.”

The Cats are still averaging more than 195 points but are continually looking to improve.

“I know we have it in us right now, today. I just think we let our heads get in the way,” Harrison said.

LSU outscored the Cats in all areas but the balance beam, which totaled up to give the Tigers the 195.875-195.25 victory.

“We have to figure out how to get out of our own way,” said UK head coach Tim Garrison. “That’s where we are right now. We’re very disappointed with tonight, but we’re encouraged by it.”

The Cats are next in action against Georgia on Friday as part of their three-meet home stretch at Memorial Coliseum.