Joel McHale, star of ‘Community’ and ‘The Soup,’ to visit UK

By Judah Taylor | @KyKernel

Joel McHale, best known for his starring role in “Community,” will perform his comedy routine on UK’s campus as SAB’s 2013 spring comedian at 8 p.m on March 7 in the Singletary Center.

McHale is the host of “The Soup,” a popular comedy show on the “E!” network. He most recently appeared in the comedy movie “Ted,” and in an episode of the crime-drama show “Sons of Anarchy.”

McHale beat out comedians including Louis C. K. and Jim Gaffigan in a student survey last fall, which decided who would perform in the spring.

“He was the most popular choice by a landslide,” said Gabrielle Dudgeon, SAB’s vice president of promotions.

After looking at the survey and who was available for booking, McHale was the clear choice because he was on the rise, Dudgeon said.

“We didn’t want to miss the opportunity to bring in such a funny guy, who not only is very popular and relevant in pop culture but also to UK students and people who may watch ‘The Soup’ or ‘Community,’ ” Dudgeon said.

Having a spring comedian perform on campus has become a UK tradition, Dudgeon said.

McHale joins the league of popular comedians such as Seth Meyers, Zach Galifinakis and Kathy Griffin, who have all performed at UK.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. on Tuesday at the Singletary Center. They are $10 for students, faculty and employees, and $20 for the general public.

Students should remember their valid UK ID to receive the discounted price.

Tickets are sold by the seat, and are not general admittance.