Gymnastics heads to No. 5 Alabama

The then No. 25 ranked UK gymnastics team competed in an intra-squad blue vs white scrimmage Thursday evening at Memorial Coliseum. Events included the balance beam (pictured here), the uneven bars, vault, and floor routine. in Lexington, Ky., on Thursday, December, 6, 2012. Photo by James Holt | Staff

By Lindsay Travis | @KyKernelSports

sports@kykernel.com

The No. 15 UK gymnastics team travels to Tuscaloosa on Friday to compete against No. 5 Alabama in the ninth annual “Power of Pink” meet.

Gymnasts from both schools will be featured in pink leotards to raise breast cancer awareness.

The Cats (4-1, 2-0 SEC) face the two-time defending national champion Alabama (2-0 SEC) in the Crimson Tide’s Coleman Coliseum.

UK and the Tide also competed in last year’s “Power of Pink” meet, in which the home squad came out on top by 2.425 points.

After a strong start to the season, which has featured back-to-back SEC wins for the first time in school history, UK will be looking to continue its early-season trend of causing upsets.

All four of the Cats’ victories this campaign have come against higher-ranked opponents.

UK is also looking to continue its streak of breaking the 195-point mark, something the Cats have done in each of their past three outings.

Friday’s meet begins at 8:30 p.m. and will be aired on Fox Sports South on Feb. 2.