UK student charged with rape

By Drew Teague

A UK student was arrested and charged with rape after an incident on campus early Saturday morning.

UK Police Chief Joe Monroe said the incident began when the suspect met the victim, also a UK student, at a party off campus Friday night.

“They left the party and came back to a residence hall facility,” Monroe said.

The UK police crime log listed the address of the incident as 121 Keeneland Drive, the address for Keeneland Hall.

After returning to her dorm room with her just before 2 a.m., the suspect forced himself on the female victim, Monroe said.

Monroe also said that it did not appear that the suspect sneaked into the residence hall.

“The male student subject forced himself upon the female student, basically having a sexual act against her, against her will,” Monroe said. “It was reported to us after he had already left.”

Monroe identified the suspect as Simon Segal, an 18-year-old student at UK. The Ledger Independent identified Segal as being from May’s Lick, Ky. Monroe said the victim was taken to the hospital for exams and treatment, but the suspect was found nearly 10 hours later, at 11:41 a.m.

“We were able to locate the male subject, Mr. Segal, later that afternoon in the College View parking lot, walking through the lot,” Monroe said.

According to the arrest report, alcohol played a part in the incident, but it does not state who was intoxicated or to what extent. Associate Dean of Students Dana Macaulay said her office could not release information about student conduct history.

According to the arrest report issued by UK police, he was being held on $10,000 bond, but he posted it and was released.

According to the arrest report, the victim remembers that after the non-consensual intercourse began, the suspect said, “I want to make you feel better.”

The report also said that when the victim attempted to refuse the sexual contact, the suspect pinned her neck with his hand and forearm and the victim then became unconscious.

Segal was arraigned just after 1 p.m. Tuesday. Segal’s lawyer waived Segal’s right to formal arraignment. His lawyer also put in a plea of not guilty on the charge of first-degree rape.

The judge issued a no contact order between Segal and the victim. Segal’s next court appearance is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Feb. 5.

UK police declined to provide the Kernel details about the incident or a police report after multiple news outlets reported it Monday.

They returned requests for information Tuesday. Anna Dryden, a political science freshman who lives in the residence halls, said she is worried that these things happen on campus.

“I think it is really troubling that there are people on this campus that want to hurt others,” Dryden said. “Girls on campus are very vulnerable and crazy people take advantage of that.”