Former U.S. comptroller general to address students

By Anyssa Roberts

UK’s Martin School of Public Policy and Administration is bringing out the big guns to educate students and the surrounding community on the fiscal issues our country faces today.

David Walker, former comptroller general of the United States and head of the Government Accountability Office (GAO), will address students, faculty and the general public at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 23 in the Recital Hall of the Singletary Center for the Arts.

Walker was appointed comptroller general by former president Bill Clinton and served from 1998 to 2008.

Since Walker’s resignation he has headed the Comeback America Initiative based off of his national best-selling book, “Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility.”

As a part of the Comeback America Initiative, Walker travels delivering speeches about the importance of fiscal responsibility and its relevance to today’s economy.

“It will be interesting to see at a federal level what the fiscal cliff means for our future and the general outlook on what he thinks will happen with America’s spending and revenues in, what he’s projected, the next 50 years,” said Jamie Giles, public policy and administration graduate student.

Walker has appeared numerous times on television stations such as C-SPAN and was a subject in the documentary film, “I.O.U.S.A.,” which followed Walker around the nation as he addressed Americans in town-hall style meetings.

Walker’s experience as the federal government’s chief auditor will offer insight into our federal economy.

Director of UK’s Martin School of Public Policy and Administration Merl Hackbart said, “I hope we can have a series of these presentations which are relevant to the students, to Kentucky and to the nation.”