Good decisions save Cats from another loss

By Les Johns | @KernelJohns

Clinging to a two-point lead with five minutes remaining, it took good decision-making down the stretch for the Cats to earn a victory over Tennessee at Rupp Arena Tuesday night.

Freshman forward Nerlens Noel blocked another UT shot (he had six for the game) and freshman guard Archie Goodwin came out of the pack to lead a UK fast break.

As Goodwin drove toward the basket, three Volunteer defenders collapsed.

Instead of forcing the action one-on-three, Goodwin kicked the ball to a wide-open graduate student guard Julius Mays.

Mays took the shot without hesitation and drained it to give the Cats a five-point cushion.

Less than a minute later, Mays drilled another three to further extend the UK lead.

These two players bought in to the roles that UK head coach John Calipari has designed for them, and it directly led to points on the scoreboard and a successful closing out of a home victory for the Cats.

Goodwin has struggled finding his role, even as late as during the first half Tuesday. He was 2-of-8 from the field with one assist.

He also twice kept the ball in transition where teammates had clear paths to the basket. He even finished the half getting fouled on a one-on-four fast break opportunity, with open players on the wing.

“He struggled today. He was a little out of control, playing too fast,” Calipari said. “Archie. This is how we are telling you to play and you’re not doing it, so you’ve not bought in.”

Goodwin’s struggles seem to have manifested upon Harrow’s return to the starting lineup. In the seven games since Harrow’s return as a starter, Goodwin is shooting just 38 percent from the field versus the 49 percent he was shooting in the first nine games of the season.

Goodwin also is not finding his teammates open as often, averaging 2.4 assists per game since Harrow’s return as a starter versus the 4.4 assists per game in the nine games prior.

Calipari needs Goodwin to be creative offensively, but at times he can be a black hole — once he gets the ball nobody else on the team sees or touches it.

Mays’ struggle is just the opposite, as he needs to take the open shot more often. At least twice in the first half, Mays passed on open looks behind the arc.

Mays hit 42 percent of his 3-point attempts last season at Wright State. Calipari wanted Mays to be a leader and a shooter this year for the Cats.

“I get mad when he’s catching the ball at the 3-point line and the guy is in the lane and he doesn’t shoot it,” Calipari said. “You caught it, you have to get it off and shoot it.”

For the Cats to be successful the remainder of this season, these two players will have to build on the finish of Tuesday’s game and buy in to the roles that Calipari has laid out for them.

“We are still learning to sustain effort and to trust each other. Then you can start becoming the team we want to be,” Calipari said. “Until then, we are going to be mired in the stuff we are in right now.”